In 1899 and 1907 the Hague Conventions were negotiated during the two Hague Conferences. The First Hague Conference was proposed by Russian Tsar Nicholas II, while the second conference was proposed by US President Theodore Roosevelt. The Austro-Hungarian Empire, France, the German Empire, Great Britain, Japan, the Russian Empire, the United States of America and other major powers of the time took in the conferences and signed the conventions, which defined the laws of war.
The Peace Palace was built between 1907 and 1913 with the money of Andrew Carnegie. It houses the International Court of Justice, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the Hague Academy of International Law, the Library of International Law and the Carnegie Foundation.
The Hague is today considered to be the International City of Peace and Justice. The Peace Palace got the European Heritage Label in 2014.
|70th anniversary of the International Court |
of Justice (issued 25-04-2016)